You can learn a lot of lessons from Forrest Bondurant, Tom Hardy’s character in Lawless—
- Never surrender.
- Always hit first (it helps to have brass knuckles in your pocket at all times).
- It’s not about the violence; it’s about how far you are willing to go.
- Being gentle is alright (but stay out of trouble).
- Believe in yourself (including crazy stuff like you’re unkillable).
- Fear is good. Everyone feels it, just learn to control it.
- It is wrong to draw a gun on a woman.
- It ain’t about the money, it’s about the principle of the thing.
And so much more.
Meanwhile, I’ve been busy learning to draw Tom Hardy–and that is its own reward.